>Cygwin / Emacs / Problems

If you are trying to get emacs working ‘nicely’ on Windows and you’ve gone the cygwin route and are now having messages like

apply: Doing vfork: resource temporarily unavailable

Try reading http://pseudocode.cc/2008/03/17/fixing-emacs-m-x-shell-or-m-x-compile-for-cygwin-on-vista/

Worked for me. Thanks pseudocode.cc !!

15 Comments

• 1
    Anonymous
    November 29, 2010 - 2:56 pm | Permalink

>I am experiencing the same problem but the page you linked to with the solution is down. Can you describe what the solution is?

• 2
    Mr. Ventimiglia
    December 6, 2010 - 4:16 am | Permalink

>Courtesy of the Internet Wayback Machine, here's that page: http://web.archive.org/web/20080414075615/http://pseudocode.cc/

And here's the posted solution therein:

Fixing emacs M-x shell or M-x compile for cygwin on Vista
    Filed under: Cygwin, Emacs, Technology — Frederick @ 4:07 pm

If you try executing a command in emacs and receive an error similar to the following:

> apply: Doing vfork: no error

> apply: Doing vfork: resource temporarily unavailable [2 times]

> “linked dll data write copy failed”

Here is a workaround:

1. Exit all cygwin based programs.

2. Run c:\cygwin\bin\ash (may need to run as administrator)

3. In ash, run /bin/rebaseall

4. Run cygwin’s setup.exe

5. Reinstall Libs/libncurses7

Emacs should be capable of forking properly now.

• 3
    Mr. Ventimiglia
    December 6, 2010 - 4:42 am | Permalink

>Follow up: this bizarre recipe actually worked for me, on Windows 7 circa late 2010.

• 4
    Doug Newton
    January 7, 2011 - 5:08 am | Permalink

>Worked for me as well on Windows 7 64 bit. Ran into the problem, found this post immediately, and was past the issue in 5 minutes. Thanks!

• 5
    Jim
    February 6, 2011 - 6:36 pm | Permalink

>Worked like a charm for me also, Windows 7, 64 bit.
    Thanks!

• 6
    Stephen
    August 31, 2011 - 6:27 pm | Permalink

Did not work for me on Vista.

• 7
    johnvk
    October 3, 2011 - 6:22 pm | Permalink

worked for me on wxp thinkpad t60 laptop

• 8
    Yu
    October 16, 2011 - 2:45 pm | Permalink

Worked for me too. Windows 7, 32 bit.

Except that I reinstalled ALL modules found with the search string “libncurses”. Just to be sure (because some other webpage declared the method outdated).

I didn’t try reinstalling only libncurses7.

• 9
    johnvk
    January 22, 2012 - 4:12 am | Permalink

worked for me windows 7 extreme rtm eer1 32bit dell 14r laptop. it’s better, but the problem is still there.

And ‘run’ means start menu->run not run from other cygwin shell

• 10
    Douglas Lewan
    February 2, 2012 - 4:09 pm | Permalink

Well, I tried this but deviated slightly: Since libncurses*7* was not already installed, I didn’t install. Instead, I just reinstalled the curses libraries that were installed.

THIS DID NOT WORK.
    Libncurses7 is apparently magic here.

Anyway, life is good now. Thanks for the help.

• 11
    Jay Dugger
    February 29, 2012 - 3:57 pm | Permalink

Under Windows Vista x64, I had to make certain to hunt down and kill every Cygwin process, rebase all, and then reinstall every libncurses-related library. This worked for me.

Thank you for the help.

• 12
    JamesZ
    March 14, 2012 - 7:39 pm | Permalink

Followed the steps which worked like a charm for me on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64-bit on March 14, 2012 except that I searched for ‘curses’ and reinstalled everything that was already installed containing the sub-string ‘curses’.

Thank you very much for the help.

• 13
    Andrew
    July 19, 2013 - 8:05 am | Permalink

It worked for me July 2013, I didn’t install ncurses7 but but just the ones that were installed (8 and 9 maybe?) and it worked fine.

• 14
    Jim Hurt
    December 31, 2014 - 5:57 pm | Permalink

Does NOT work for me on WIndoows 8.1.

• 15
    Jan
    January 7, 2015 - 8:52 am | Permalink

I managed to get this to work on windows 8.1
    However I did it once where it didn’t work. Then I rebooted and tried the approach again, this time using the dash (instead of ash) terminal, and it worked 🙂

Both times I ran the terminal as administrator.
    /Jan